March 26, 2017, 12:14:05 AM
bigger smaller reset 800px Wide width Full width Reset * *

NRTracks

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Registration--A Necessary Pain  (Read 2238 times)
Lyndon
Administrator

« on: June 21, 2009, 10:11:42 AM »

I hate registration.  I hate having to register and I hate having to use it on my webs. I hate anything that makes my cruise more difficult. I had to stiffen the rules regarding initial registration here because of the bots, those mindless harvesters of potential prey. They gather email addresses and they leave behind their advertisements for cheap pharmaceuticals. If I want these products I can find them with a one-word Google search but they offer alternatives and attempt to create fortunes for leaches who really have no true value to society. Web advertising can be honest work, can be honorable even, but forcing your way in is like the proverbial salesman wedging his foot into your door--you just want to cut it off.  It's hard for me to believe that these forceful intrusions make money for those whose sole raison d'etre it seems is to annoy the hell outta people. But it must because they don't stop.

To me, nothing is worse than having to remember user names and passwords for dozens, if not hundreds, of sites. To make it less painful use a password manager. I don't know about Internet Explorer because I haven't used it for years but Firefox provides its own. You can also allow sites to set a cookie to remember you.  Despite the negative publicity, I have never seen 'bad' cookies on reputable sites.  If you do pron or warez you may need to keep watch over them but in the overall scheme they just don't pose that much of a security risk. If you use an aftermarket password manager just pay attention, do a little research before you install... I used to clean spyware-infested machines regularly that always seemed to have a certain password manager (I forget the name now, possibly started with 'G' ?) that was a major culprit for installing spyware.   

I apologize for the necessary evil of registration--in a perfect world it wouldn't be needed. But if you've ever had to spend hours cleaning the deposits left by spammer bots you understand why. Hopefully the process here will be a short, one-time thing.  May all your log-ins be painless...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 05:34:27 PM by Lyndon » Logged
Lyndon
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 05:25:22 PM »

Well several.  But Lisa, or Kate, or whatever your name and gender is today, I'm sorry hon but we're going to have to let you go.  Our time was so short-lived and I was really hoping that it would work out. Your IP was different from the block used by that scum at Dragonara Alliance so I thought maybe, just maybe, you were into NR03, maybe a sim-driver groupie even. I decided I really should do a little background check on you before I got too involved.  You lisadelcous are a busy girl... seems you have spread yourself around... really stretched yourself out you might say. On the law forums site you mentioned you were still kind of confused by the goings on so you were going to stay and poke around a bit.  Clever.  I applaud a mischievous spirit. But it was all about the money wasn't it?  You were telling people where to get it but all you wanted to do was take, take, take. Why would you think that I, with no advertising links at all, would let you sell yourself from my house, air your laundry from my windows? If only you had been honest about your past we may have lasted. But no, you were just a whore, another puke from the darkside, sneaking around, flirting with anyone who will help support you. Sorry babe, but I can't carry you any longer.  You'll find someone else I know, you always do. So good luck... don't let the doorknob hit you in the ass on the way out.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 05:39:44 PM by Lyndon » Logged
fortine_oo
Legacy

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:29:52 PM »

hysterical

You're too funny.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: