January 23, 2018, 07:38:56 AM
bigger smaller reset 800px Wide width Full width Reset * *

NRTracks

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Directions and Wind in NR03  (Read 2183 times)
Lyndon
Administrator

« on: November 12, 2010, 05:19:36 AM »

This does not qualify as a 'resource' yet but hopefully it will at some point--this whole area is open-ended anyway  and subject to new (and better) answers. The thing is, the topic came up at NR2K3Tracks (LP files and North angle) and I was surprised at how little I knew. And I still haven't quite figured it all out, partly I am sure, because I never use windy conditions when racing AI. Here's what I have:

It's pretty easy to change sun (or moon) position. When working on Mesa Marin Night I discovered that I had the sun setting in the wrong part of the sky. (BTW, Mesa Marin is a good track for experimenting since the sun is low in the horizon and changes is easy to see. That horizon is all over the place though and several dozen tracks would work as well). What I found during that experience was just how easy the adjustment is in Sandbox. The sequence is: Adjust > Track Lighting Options > Sky Rotation (where you enter a number in degrees). There is also a checkbox in the dialogue for setting the track as a night track (which is handy when making a night track  Tongue). You can, and probably will need to experiment a little with the correct numbers but the picture shows the basics:

You can go with positive or negative numbers but the basic reference is North (at 0 or 360°). So that's easy. My problem is with the two values in the track INI: track_north_angle and track_wind_direction. Specifically, how they are coordinated. The original poster mentioned that he was having a problem getting the wind to change directions. I went into Mesa Marin, changed the value of track_wind_direction and indeed, the wind didn't change direction. It wasn't until I changed track_north_angle that I was actually able to effect a change. So I guess I will look at some original Papy tracks and try to discover what they did. The explanations in the original INI tutorials seem to be at odds with the actual experience and I'd like something a little more definitive.  Sure, one can experiment but I'm never happy with that approach. I don't know what I'm missing so this will be continued....
riviera71
NR2K3 Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 03:57:40 PM »

Since I always use a picture from google earth as background image in sandbox I'm kinda assuming that means I wont have to tinker with north angle Smiley I keep north up in GE and don't rotate the image in any way so I'm hoping this is correct.
Like you, wind is something I completely ignore too lol
Lyndon
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 11:07:02 PM »

Since I always use a picture from google earth as background image in sandbox I'm kinda assuming that means I wont have to tinker with north angle Smiley I keep north up in GE and don't rotate the image in any way so I'm hoping this is correct.
Like you, wind is something I completely ignore too lol

Straight up north in GE also. Always. Seems to work well enough and I don't get confused.

LOL--yeah I think I've used wind twice--and only because I wanted to see the flags moving. I cranked the wind to max in Mesa Marin for fun--I don't think I've ever seen the flag stand out like that. I also wrecked a lot while watching it and trying to determine direction.

I'm pretty much 70° and clear 'cause I don't like having to make extra setups.  Wink When driving league races I hated having to change track temps... I was always forgetting to change things back later. And I got it wrong a lot too. I once set up for 89°, ran the race and got my only RC win, and found out later that we raced at 64°.  hysterical
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: